Mr Campbell Danesh, 41, was discovered dead at his residence in Rochester, Minnesota, last month.
The Southern Minnesota Regional Medical Examiner’s Office determined that he died from “inhalation of chloroethane,” and his death was considered an accident by the medical examiner.
According to post-mortem examination documentation, “toxic effects of chloroethane” and “suffocation” both led to his death.
In a statement, his family said: “The results of medical examinations have confirmed that Darius’s death was an accident caused by chloroethane, which is used to treat pain and that tragically lead to respiratory arrest.
“Darius was suffering from chronic neck pain following a car accident in 2010.
“We would like to thank everyone for their love and kindness, and ask that the family’s privacy is maintained during this difficult time”.
Mr Danesh Campbell spoke to Hello! magazine in 2010 about the car crash in which he broke his neck.
During a vacation in Spain, the singer was a passenger in a Porsche that crashed into a wall at 70 mph after slipping on oil.