Ghana has lost one of its political heroes and nation builder, J.H Mensah.
He passed away at the age of 89 on Thursday, July 12 2018, while on admission at the 37 Military Hospital in Accra.
Mr Joseph Henry Mensah, a founding member of the governing New Patriotic Party (NPP) served in three different ministerial positions under the John Agyekum Kufuor administration.
Aside from receiving top appointments in government offices, he has been a strong figure in the fight for better democratic practices and nation-building.
Below are 10 things we think you should know about the late J.H Mensah.
1. He was Assistant Inspector of Tax during the Colonial Administration in 1953
2. Research Fellow at the University of Ghana between 1954 and 1958
3. Mr Mensah was the Economic Affairs Officer at Centre for Development Planning, UN in 1958
4. He produced Ghana’s 7-year development plan between 1962 and 1969
5. He was the Minister of Finance under Kofi Abrefa Busia between 1969 and 1972
6. Chairman of the Sunyani District Council between 1979 and 1981
7. He served on the African Advisory Council of the African Development Bank between 1993 and 1997
8. Member of Parliament (MP) for Sunyani East between 1996 and 2000
9. Minority Leader in Ghana’s Parliament from 1997 to 2001
10. He was the Senior Minister of Government Business under John Agyekum Kufuor from 2005 to 2006