This year’s Vodafone Ghana Music Awards is slated for April 8 in Accra.
The event which celebrates Music in Ghana also awards people who have contributed to the growth of the music industry in Ghana.
Although the award event has run for eighteen years, the gospel industry has failed to win the coveted Artiste of the Year award although they have been nominated on some occasions. This year, gospel lovers are optimistic about snatching the award from their secular music brothers with Joe Mettle who has performed extraordinarily in the year under review.
Let’s walk through six gospel artistes who have gained nominations for the category but have failed to win the award.
1. In 2009, Phillipa Abaafi was nominated for the coveted category and was very optimistic about winning the award but failed to carry it home.
2. Christiana Love was also nominated for the artiste of the year category in 2009 but failed to win. She was nominated alongside Okyeame Kwame, Phillipa Abaafi, Asem, Praye, and Sidney.
3. Cecilia Marfo was nominated in the year 2011 but failed to win it although she was well sold in that year. VIP won the coveted award in that year.
4. Cwesi Oteng in 2013 was nominated for the artiste of the year category alongside R2bees, D-Black, VIP and Kwaw Kese. He could not win the award in 2013.
5. In 2014, Sonnie Badu was also nominated for the Artiste of the year category but failed to win. He was nominated with artistes such as Castro, Kwabena Kwabena, Shatta Wale, Sarkodie, and Samini.
6. In 2016, SP Kofi Sarpong was nominated in the same category. Prior to the event, the public was optimistic that he will break the ‘jinx’ but that was not to happen as EL carried the day.